As the legislative session gets underway we wanted to remind you that these are your representatives so make sure you make your voice heard! Here are our tips for being an effective advocate for public lands and the issues that matter to you during the legislative session:
- Get to know your representatives! Make sure you know who your house and senate representatives are and call or email them throughout the session.
- Go to the Roundhouse. Constituents are allowed and encouraged to watch the legislative process happen. Be respectful and speak to your representatives in person!
- When speaking to your representatives, keep your pitch short, polite, and share your story. Your legislator wants to hear why bills matter to their constituents.
- Follow the progress of bills you care about at www.nmlegis.gov.
- Take part in public comment – committee meetings have a public comment period, this is your time to make your voice heard!